I had the pleasure of spending Saturday 5th September in company with friends from the Devon Wargamers at this year's Colours in Newbury, which tends to be my end of year show, and one I very much look forward to attending, having done so for many years.
The show seemed well attended and this year I decided to spend most of my time simply enjoying it, and less time focussed on doing a report for the blog, as every now and then it's just great to be in the moment without bothering with the camera and such stuff, and simply soaking up the pleasure of imbibing in the hobby.
That said I did grab some pictures of products and games that caught my eye in the usual way that things often do and I thought I would share them here on the blog with some comments.
| I really liked these War of 1812 castings from Parkfield Miniatures and I managed to speak to Simon, the chap responsible for these lovely creations, so will put together some ideas around this era when I get back from holiday. Codes 1 to 16 are British Infantry in stovepipes, 40 to 46 Riflemen, 100 to 103 Lower Canadian Select Embodied Militia, and 110 to 113 Upper Canadian Sedentary Militia. HOME | Parkfield Miniatures NEWS | Parkfield Miniatures |
At the moment my head is awash with ideas around the work focussed on my American War of Independence collection, and indeed I had arranged another collection of figures from Dave Thomas and the Perry range; and it was having just arrived at the show and as I was getting myself sorted out to collect my pre-order that I noticed I was stood in front of the Parkfield Miniatures stand, and more precisely looking at their War of 1812 range of figures.
Sometimes it's funny how serendipity can produce these moments of surprise, as until that moment I wasn't aware that they had such a range, and how nice they looked, just crying out for a three shade paint job to make them 'pop' appropriately.
The War of 1812 is an era I have been keen to dip my toe into at some time, with that itch crying out for a range of figures that would get the creative juices going, and needless to say another 'rabbit-hole' has grabbed my attention - be still my beating heart!!
The other thing that is very much in my focus at present is tabletop terrain, which I need to add to to allow me to produce the games I have in mind going forward, and for which I have recently indulged myself in my first 'Kickstarter' for some very nice historical 3-D printed AWI buildings and associated terrain pieces for which I will do a review at some stage.
![]() |
| Warpainter Scenics model scenery and static grass |
However on this occasion I was looking for ideas for the more mundane requirements of fields, roads and such like that you can't have too much of when looking to fill a nine foot by five foot table such as mine
![]() |
| Some nice options for ready made scatter-terrain |
![]() |
| More field options |
One of the other useful resources of readymade scenery and indeed ideas for producing my own as and when time permits is Last Valley Wargames Terrain, as these rather nice field arrangements show.
The other subject is to put together a WWII night fighter game using the GMT solo-game to model the action on the table, again awaiting a suitable range of models to bring it to life, and that was when I saw these delightful 3D printed models with bags of detail, plus a range of decals to finish things off with, from Whirlwind Miniatures
There are some gaps in the types, but as you can see these models are perfect for the one-on-one night actions I have in mind, hence my reminder picture.
Serendipity took matters in hand yet again, and she's a lovely girl, when I happened to be browsing the Grubby Tanks Stand and noticed some very nice 28mm flags that used to be part of the Redoubt Enterprises range of offerings alongside their figures, and that are very extensive, that includes a range covering the American War of Independence.
![]() |
| WIA 03 Culpepper minute men and The Green Mountain Boys. Body's Banners from Grubby Tanks. Product categories American War of Independence Archive - Redoubt Enterprises |
It's great to add some variation to my flags and banners especially when they are not on offer from my more usual suppliers and so I availed myself a couple of American Continental packs covering the Pennsylvania Regiments and some Rhode Island offerings that I hadn't seen produced elsewhere.
With the weight of the Perry reinforcements reminding me I needed to take the weight of my feet and enjoy some lunch, I decided to take the early afternoon to peruse the games on show, stopping first to take a look at a new set of ancient rules being rolled out by Dave Brown and Reisswitz Press, namely 'Vexillarius'.
These, I'm sure will be eagerly anticipated by the ancients community, me included, as Dave knows how to craft an interesting set of wargames rules, and to raise passers interest he was running a very nice looking Battle of Marathon game.
As well as some nicely turned out figures the game featured this scratch built manor house/castle constructed out of card, and illustrating what an effective job can be achieved with some well honed modelling and painting skills.
Finally there was a nice refight of The Battle of Gaugamela using Impetus version II, with the chaps very focussed on play, not surprising with the lovely collection of figures laid out comprising the opposing lines.
I had to then turn my attention to thinking about getting home to Devon, which would prove to be a leisurely experience for me, as Steve M. was driving allowing me to enjoy the delights of Stone Henge and Salisbury Plain as we motored down a relatively quiet A303.
I however had to be up and ready the next morning for a four hour drive to Folkestone as Carolyn and I packed the car in readiness for our nine day break in Le Touquet-Paris-Plage.
So I hope you've enjoyed my look at this year's Colours, and I'm looking forward to sharing some aspects of our trip to La Belle France to include the historic city of Montreuil sur Mer, forever part of Victor Hugo's historical epic Les Misérables, published in 1862, as well as the site of Marshal Ney's 1805 and Field Marshal Haig's 1916-18 GHQ's, plus my much look forwarded to expeditions to the battlefields of Crecy 1346 and Agincourt or should I say Azincourt 1415, as I get a few days to immerse myself in the Hundred Years War.
As I always conclude, more anon.
JJ












Splendid report, JJ! Sounds like a brilliant day out at Colours—nothing beats catching up with friends, picking up pre-orders, and stumbling upon unexpected new figure ranges!
ReplyDeleteAll the best, Andy