Tuesday 30 September 2014

Roman Legionaries - 2nd Cohort


So, as promised the next unit off the paint desk is my third unit in the Dacian War collection and my second legionary cohort.


I'm still trying out stuff as I go with this collection and with this third unit I was interested in using different shades for doing the flesh. This will develop my technique for when I get really challenged by half naked Dacian and German warriors. Here I was trying to get a more gradual change in shade than with the previous legionary and auxiliary cohorts.


In addition I wanted to make the white tunics more subtle in the highlighting of the creases. I think I prefer this look to the previous work



As I am becoming more familiar with these figures the faces are becoming easier to work with and I hope I am capturing the many expressions on these figures.


The grizzled bearded veteran has my first attempts at added sword cuts to the shield. I particularly like the chap on the end who really looks up for it.


I am starting to like the Warlord legionaries despite their slight stature, especially next to the auxiliaries. I have decided to mix in a few cohorts from Wargames Foundry to add some variation and lessen the contrast.


One final piece of learning gleaned from doing this unit is that the waterslide shield decals supplied, although prepared with the boss centres removed, still need to be trimmed with the knife before soaking, as the film overlaps on to the boss and can cause crinkles. Hopefully you can't see them!


Next up Baden infantry, and hopefully a legionary cohort painted by the next generation at JJ's Wargames.

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic legionaries! The veterans with manicae are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, thank you. Yes I agree they are a very nice figures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I'm really enjoying putting this collection together. They make a nice contrast to the Napoleonics.

      Delete
  3. Great job! I see no crinkles on the shields. I do like the mock sword cuts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. Well I gave them a good soaking with decal soft to help smooth the most obvious ones out. I will go back to the labourious job of cutting out the centre of the decals in future. Thanks, I was pleased with the sword cuts in the end. I think mixed in with a few blood spots they really bring a bit extra to the figure. Next practice jobs will be sword cuts to arms and tattoos.

      Delete
  4. We will make an ancients player of you yet JJ.
    Very nice work. I have tried to spot the creases in the decals, but have failed !
    A proper army. Lots of swords & pointed sticks.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to getting this collection out on the table. I spent a bit of time going over those b....y shields with decal softener, preying that they wouldn't tear. I think it did the trick, but when you see them in the flesh, I think you can spot the odd blemish. Oh well, I won't do that again! See you on Saturday.
      JJ

      Delete
  5. Absolutly fantastic, from the shields to the faces, all is perfect!

    ReplyDelete