Wednesday 18 November 2015

British Line Infantry Painting Tutorial - Part Three

The Victrix illustration shows the shading
approach I want in the final look
British Line Infantry Painting Tutorial Part One

British Line Infantry Painting Tutorial Part Two

Finally the final stage where by adding a small amount of a lighter shade we can achieve greater depth to the colour already applied and help accentuate the detail on an 18mm figure that can start to compete with a larger scale.


I tend to differentiate the better quality jackets on my officers versus the ordinary ranks by using a not quite so orange option in "Vallejo Scarlet".


To accentuate the  roundness of the water canteens I tend to just apply the Vallejo Pastel Blue just to the inner disc, leaver the darker blues around the edge


The Dark Grey can really accentuate the lines of the black equipment and give it a worn appearance. As you can see the other shades and the matt varnish have removed the sheen from the Humbrol base coat.


Use of gold and silver can add brightness to the metal work, and I like to make Shako plates, bayonets and cross belt plates "sing out" a bit.




So that's the 61st Foot completed. I just need to get them based up and then we can have a look at the battalion ready for battle and a bit about its history.


One thing I have noticed that I will touch up prior to basing, and no prizes for those who spotted it, is to add a bit of "Vajello Silver to the top edges of the officers collars and a little for the cuff lace.

As with the French, I will capture this information in a follow up PDF.

6 comments:

  1. These tutorials are fantastic! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't think the officers collars had lace edging at this time JJ ?
    I also use VJ Scarlet for my officer's jackets and VJ Dark Vermillion for other ranks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Tony, you are quite right. I was reading Franklin last night to check my references and in the first section it talks about officers silver lace and then in the second mentions the twist button holes were unlaced. Oh good, saves a paint job.

      Yeah I think the Peninsular sun would have only accentuated the difference in the hues of the officers jackets to the OR's

      Delete
  3. Don't forget the backpack straps! Great work though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rupert. Not all the packs are "Trotter" types so don't necessarily have back pack straps. Many of the old brown packs were black lacquered to protect against rain. The Peninsular War was different from the Waterloo campaign in that kit was much more variable.

    ReplyDelete