Monday 18 May 2020

Hobilars


Whilst awaiting reinforcements for the 1:700th Age of Sail naval project, I have embarked on some outstanding work that has been on the to-do list which saw my AWI collection getting some further attention and to follow, work promised on some medieval light cavalry for my mate Vince as part of a contribution to a game we had planned up at Chez Chas in June this year that now looks likely to be postponed.

However as evidence of another case of faith triumphing over experience and on the hope we might still get together to do our game in the not too distant future, and with my commitment to get these done outstanding, I sat down two weeks ago and put a dozen Perry Miniatures plastic late medieval light cavalry together.



The briefing for these chaps was to keep them fairly generic types as they will be playing the role of Turcopoles in our intended game but could easily turn out for one of our club WOTR games as well as lining up for an Italian Wars set to, hence no specific liveries or banners.



Perry's figures are a class above in terms of detail, design and horses that look like horses, and these plastics offer the usual flexibility to turn out very personalised miniatures that are a joy to paint.



I have three boxes of these of my own, as part of a massive Wars of the Roses collection I have still to get stuck into, and so messing about with these figures for Vince gave me a chance to see how they fit together and the combinations of weapons, helmets and other accouterments that make every unit individual.




It has been really fun getting back into some figure painting for a while and this excursion into medievals only added to that, so I hope you like them Vince and here's looking forward to seeing them in action on the table.




However I'm returning to the sea with a couple of models of a 38-gun frigate and 74-gun ship of the line, I'm doing for another mate, Bob, whose invested in a similar collection as my own, and these are intended to act as exemplars of the rigging set-ups for British and other nations ships.

Following that I may well be heading off to the dark ages, depending on whether the Spanish navy has turned up.

12 comments:

  1. This is my favourite Perry kit, so many goodies and options. Lovely paintwork, that orange is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid unit, the horses are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on figures and horses! They look superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning JJ, I really do like your painting style mate and your tempting me in to War of the Roses 😁 We hope you all are keeping safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice JJ. You have managed to capture the "have lance, will travel" nature of these guys. Very much the work horses of so many armies of the period.

    I trust, like you, that we shall get a chance to roll out "Tannenberg 1410" at some point later in the year, either at the original venue or my place. Covid allowing of course.

    When I put my half dozen Turcopole units on the table earlier this year, I was some what deflated when Chas said, "great, something I can actually kill with my crossbows.

    Lets just say they don't bounce as much as "full fat" knights !

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments chaps and glad you like them Vince. I look forward to handing them over and seeing them on the table.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous brushwork JJ, they really look fab, the horse colours are excellent

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, much appreciated. I really like the colour options from the Coat dArms Horse Tones which have some nice shades.

      JJ

      Delete
  8. Fab work JJ. They look really great.

    Have you plans for any more Wars of the Roses stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have plans for a WOTR collection and the boxes of figures are stacked in my 'To Do' closet, but I'm not planning to get stuck into them soon.

      Delete