Friday 23 December 2022

JJ's Wargames on Tour - Happy Christmas 2022, It's Xmas Jim, But Not As We Know It!


The Festive Season is now well underway and with Christmas Eve fast approaching, I thought I would send my usual Christmas greeting on the blog, but this year with a difference.

As those of you who have been following my recent posts, Carolyn and I have been off on a bit of a jaunt to the other side of the planet, or down under as we would say at home, here in New Zealand, and well we have found ourselves noticing things that are similar to home but definitely not the same.

So much so that we have adopted our favourite Star Trek aphorism throughout most of our time away, every time we see something that we seem to recognise but not quite, hence;

'It's Xmas Jim, but not as we know it!'
 
For example, the tree pictured above and below, with a close up of it's marvellous bloom, is the New Zealand Xmas Tree, so called because of the blazing red flowers that appear around Christmas and is otherwise known as Metrosideros excelsa, or to the Maori's as Pohutukawa.


Yes it is indeed a stunning tree, but not exactly the bedecked conifer us Poms are used to, and where's the snow, or the holly with its red berries or at least some cold miserable weather that Xmas is supposed to bring relief from, oh and dark mornings and nights?


No it's summer here, with lovely English summer time temperatures, the birds are nesting and in full song, and Freddy Mercury and Queen are blasting out on the radio 'Thank God it's Xmas'.

Even the Robin's don't look quite right, I mean its the right shape, if a little larger than I'm used to, and it is as cock sure of itself as any self respecting Robin is likely to be, as it lands at your feet and looks up at you as if it owns the place, but it's black and white, looking like an 'All Black' with attitude! 


Anyway it definitely is the season of goodwill to all and we are looking forward to spending Christmas in lovely Christchurch NZ, with a restaurant booked for dinner, Skype calls arranged with home, and a punt on the River Avon and a walk around the Christchurch Botanical Gardens arranged in the afternoon.


Normally over the Xmas break I would be preparing an end of year review for the blog together with plans for 2023, but this year will be a little different as I will still be adventuring around the world in some other countries over the break, so plan to reset JJ's Wargames later in the New Year when the routine settles into a modicum of normality.


Thus it leaves me only to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and New Year, wherever you are, and I look forward to posting further adventures here on JJ's after the Xmas break.

Lots of interesting things to look at here on JJ's following a break for Xmas.

More anon
JJ

11 comments:

  1. As a Kiwi I've been enjoying your posts, and in particular those about the museum in Hawera - it has inspired me to make my first trip to Taranaki. Merry Christmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Season's greetings to you and yours , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, most beautiful pictures here...And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas JJ.
    Chas, Steve, Clive & myself will be missing you at the Christmas game at my house on the 30th. This year we are playing the "Counterattack at Galatas, Crete, 25th May 1941", in 20mm to "O" |Group rules. Given where you are at the moment, I thought it was appropriate to field the 23rd NZ battalion !
    All the best.
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Merry upside down Christmas to you...I have been here since 1988 and still occasionally find myself associating Christmas with mid winter, even if only sub consciously! It's a nice sunny start to the day up here in Auckland, so hopefully the same in CHC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and your family JJ. I hope you have a great week and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Christmas from three kilometres down the road. Just driven past the Antigua St Boat Sheds - home to those punts - three times this morning. Best wishes for the rest of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chaps,
    Thank you for the Season's best wishes. Carolyn and I have now relocated to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia and are very much looking forward to an Australian New Year party, with fireworks down on the River Yarra.

    Vince - wishing you and the chaps a very fun game which I know I would have enjoyed as much for the banter as the playing, and I will be thinking of you as Carolyn and I take a trip along the Great Ocean Road that day. All the best to everyone and look forward to getting the band back together in 2023.

    Happy New Year everyone, and thankyou for your kind comments.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will warm up for you in Melbourne!

      Merry Christmas mate

      Delete