Wednesday 3 June 2020

All at Sea, Rigging Tutorial Video, Part One - Standing Rigging



The last few weeks of lock-down has been for me a great opportunity to reflect on a lot of things, and like many indulge the time into broadening my hobby.

A few weeks ago I posted about the role blogging performs as part of my own hobby experience and the importance of sharing, by using the platform that blogs can offer to help others get as much out of wargaming as I enjoy.

This got me thinking, in particular about my current theme to build a collection of 1:700th Napoleonic era ships and the learning I have garnered from rigging them in the last nine months.

All at Sea - Rigging Tutorial

It was back in December last year that I put together a PDF on how I go about rigging these models, 


JJ's Wargames - Rigging Tutorial


I know it struck me then, that the one thing a PDF can't show you is the sequence and method of working through, what for many can seem, a complicated and problematic process.

At the moment I am working on a couple of models for a friend from club, Bob, in an effort to give him some reference models to work from when putting his collection together and it struck me as an opportunity to learn some video and editing skills and try to capture the process for YouTube so that it would compliment the instructions in the PDF and perhaps provide a better overall guide.

Putting this, the first of a planned series of three fifteen minute tutorials, has been a steep learning curve using my IPad and IMovie to film and edit my work, first starting with the standing rigging, common to all the ships and navies of the period and then looking at rigging the first model of a 74-gun ship with British pattern running rigging and then to follow that with a third video, looking at a frigate with French/Spanish pattern running rigging.



I hope this will encourage those I have heard from in the process of posting my 'All at Sea' series of posts, who have commented that the rigging process can seem a bit daunting, to see that it is a methodical step-wise process that is quickly learnt after a few models and will give a lot of satisfaction when seeing the results of the finished model, oh and it's really not that difficult.

Enjoy and Bob, I hope you like the models, when you finally get hold of them, but in the meantime you can follow the progress of them getting done.

3 comments:

  1. Top stuff sir. Very useful to those of us following in your wake (if you’ll pardon the pun).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jonathan, another very useful resource added added to your library of great ideas. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chaps, much appreciated.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete