Thursday 12 June 2014

Spitfire in Cornwall - 308 (Polish) Squadron


I  was working in sunny Cornwall today and happened to be driving past Newquay airport, formerly RAF St Mawgan.

RAF St Mawgan - History

Having just cleared the boundary of the airfield I passed a house with a very interesting exhibit in the front garden. I only had the phone with me to take some pictures.


It looks like a Spitfire Mk IX in Invasion Stripes in the markings for 308 (Polish) Squadron which carried the ZF code from September 1940 when it operated Spitfire IIA's until its disbandment in 1946 when it was on the Mark XVI.


The Spitfire is the most beautiful fighter aircraft ever, and I prefer to see and hear them flying, but a "stuffed" one was a nice thing to see on my lunch break, and I put some money in the "Preserve the Spitfire" collection box.

8 comments:

  1. Nice yard-art! The Spitfire is a beautiful fighter but I prefer the lines of the elegant F-16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon, which proves the point, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping that pink thing is your thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes relax. I only noticed it when I got home, so no chance of a retake and the position wasn't open to editing in Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the images. I took some myself today and found your website by googling. It's pretty easy to remove your pink thing in Photoshop http://i.imgur.com/VGPe0Av.jpg

      Delete
    2. Hi Dave, I thought your message might have been a spam with talk of pink things, then I had a look at the post and realised what you were referring to. Glad you like the pics, I love looking at Spitfires, and thanks for the link, although I try not to make a habit of getting my digits in the way of the lens.
      Cheers
      JJ

      Delete
  4. My dad, who passed away in February, flew photo recon late war Spitfires. So, even though this plane is the wrong mark, the photos brought back some good memories of my dad. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nigel, sorry to hear about your dad. The photo recon boys flew fast, high and shiny to get all the speed possible, and no guns. Brave chaps. I think the last wartime mark was the PR XIX with the Rolls Royce Griffon.

      Delete